Jan. 6, 2021 was a sad day for America, but some of the ways the left marked the Capitol riot’s first anniversary were hard not to laugh at.
They’re doing it wrong.
Congressional Democrats, members of the media and Hollywood stars joined forces Thursday to stage an “insurrection”-themed pageant of national proportions: Here’s a countdown of the top 10 highlights, along with a Twitter laugh track.
10. Vice President Kamala Harris:
9. Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D. Wash.:
8. Rep. Brendan Boyle, D-Penn.:
7. Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif.:
6. Sari Beth Roseberg, an educator, writer and PBS host:
5. Jim McDermott, an associate editor at America magazine:
4. Ibram X. Kendi, a celebrity antiracist activist:
3. “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert”:
2. S.V. Date, a senior White House correspondent at HuffPost:
1. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (featuring the cast of “Hamilton”):
Even some harsh critics of the Jan. 6 riot have argued liberals’ hypocritical sensationalization of the date for political gain has been counterproductive.
“America is beset by ongoing problems of populism, political violence, and whackaloonery, and it’s an ongoing disgrace that a significant chunk of a major political party still indulges in the pathologies that contributed to last year’s traumatic riot and disrupted the transfer of power,” Reason editor Matt Welch wrote Thursday.
- “But the road back from that insanity is not going to be built best by erasing the existence of non-Trumpy Republicans and treating every boring political interaction as a life-or-death struggle for the republic itself. Two-party systems produce partisan pendulum swings; that’s what they do. Will the country, and its news media, be able to cope?”