Among the casualties so far were Robert E. Lee, Christopher Columbus and Thomas Jefferson.
- But not everyone is satisfied with human-scale vandalism.
A meme making the rounds online describes the monument as the "Statue Removal Final Boss."
Step 1: Christopher Columbus statues— Megan Red Shirt-Shaw (@mredshirtshaw) June 11, 2020
Step 2: Mount Rushmore? Who's in?
Some liberals have advocated bombing Mount Rushmore, which features the 60-feet-tall visages of Presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln carved into the Black Hills of South Dakota.
Someone needs to pull a Richie Rich and blow up Mount Rushmore— dAd (the A stands for acab) (@lexnstuff) June 16, 2020
Hip-hop artist Supaman said "Removing" Mount Rushmore would be “an act of love.”
Removing Mount Rushmore wouldn’t be an act of destruction it would be an act of love! ❤️— Supaman (@Supamanhiphop) June 11, 2020
Michael Harriot, a writer at The Root, a black politics blog, seemed to suggest replacing the presidents with black faces — but sociologist Zoe Samudzi and others quickly educated him about the monument's irredeemability.
- She noted that the Souix Indians were originally given the land as part of a reservation and that Mount Rushmore's sculptor had ties to the Ku Klux Klan.
The problem with Mt. Rushmore isn't that the faces aren't black. The US government forced the Lakota Sioux to give up the Black Hills part of the reservation when settlers found gold on it in the 1870s. The architect of the monument, Gutzon Borglum, was a member of the KKK. https://t.co/Xz2HOUoC4O— Zoé (@ztsamudzi) June 11, 2020
Australian historian Una McIlvenna and others said U.S. authorities must go beyond demolition and return Mount Rushmore to the Sioux, who consider the Black Hills their sacred ground.
- They also wanted reparations to be paid.
Mount Rushmore was carved into the Black Hills, a sacred land for the Sioux. Mount Rushmore is a horrible desecration and monument to colonialism/white supremacy. Removal is not enough—the land must be returned w/ reparations https://t.co/faU2hp9eWs— Mike Seay (@sikemeay) June 15, 2020
Meanwhile, conservatives like actor James Woods struggled to believe that the left was serious.
Commentator J. Bradford Williams warned the Statue of Liberty could be next.
Don't think they won't go for the Statue of Liberty.— thebradfordfile™ (@thebradfordfile) June 11, 2020
They HATE America.
Calls for Mount Rushmore’s destruction are not new.
- They last peaked in 2017 during a previous binge of historical-statue destruction, which was spurred by the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Nonetheless, as in previous years, about 2 million people visited Mount Rushmore in 2018 and again in 2019.
- The National Park Service, which manages the monument, has described it as “the Shrine of Democracy.”
- The official Mount Rushmore website quotes the sculptor, Gutzon Borglum, as saying: "The purpose of the memorial is to communicate the founding, expansion, preservation, and unification of the United States with colossal statues of Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Theodore Roosevelt."