Then: Carlson initially slammed Duckworth, a retired lieutenant colonel, on "Tucker Carlson Tonight" on Monday, suggesting she hated America.
- He took issue with her appearance on CNN over the weekend, when she said Americans should be open to arguments for the removal of statues of George Washington.
On CNN, Duckworth also criticized a speech delivered by President Donald Trump at Mount Rushmore on Friday in which he denounced the tearing down of historic statues, stressed the richness of America's heritage and defended the founders.
Here's what Tucker said about Tammy Duckworth tonight that prompted her fiery response:— Justin Baragona (@justinbaragona) July 7, 2020
"Most people just ignore her. But when Duckworth does speak in public, you're reminded what a deeply silly and unimpressive person she is... These people actually hate America." pic.twitter.com/yKZVNfwYFC
- Duckworth said Mount Rushmore stood on land "stolen from Native Americans" and claimed that Trump in his speech “spent all his time talking about dead traitors," though he did not actually mention any Confederates.
- "It's long been considered out of bounds to question a person's patriotism," Carlson said, after playing a clip of Duckworth's comments on CNN. "It's a very strong charge and we try not to ever make it. But in the face of all this, the conclusion can't be avoided: These people actually hate America."
- “You’re not supposed to criticize Tammy Duckworth in any way because she once served in the military. Most people just ignore her,” he said.
- The top-rated prime-time host also said that Duckworth viewed Washington as “just some old white guy who needs to be erased.”
- “Let’s tear down his statues, rename our capital city Sharpton or Mandela and let the revolution continue!” Carlson said sarcastically, referring to black rights activist Al Sharpton and anti-apartheid revolutionary and former South Africa President Nelson Mandela.
Tucker Carlson not only doubles down on his claim that Tammy Duckworth hates America, he also calls her a "coward," a "fraud," and a "moron" while questioning whether she should be described as a "hero" pic.twitter.com/XCF5sekcK3— Justin Baragona (@justinbaragona) July 8, 2020
Does @TuckerCarlson want to walk a mile in my legs and then tell me whether or not I love America?
— Tammy Duckworth (@SenDuckworth) July 7, 2020
David French, a senior editor at The Dispatch, tweeted on Tuesday that there was “far more objective evidence that Tammy Duckworth loves this country than there is that Tucker Carlson does.”
"You know what's unpatriotic? Calling your opponents unpatriotic," said CNN senior political analyst John Avlon on-air on Wednesday.
Vice President Duckworth? Duckworth has reportedly made the short list to be presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s running mate.
- Some have predicted Carlson’s attacks have boosted her odds of getting the job.