A Florida father worried about civil unrest brought several guns and a pile of ammunition to Disney World to ensure his family’s safety, Orlando authorities revealed this week.
The incident: A bellman at the Florida resort noticed the arsenal in a tennis bag while loading the family’s baggage onto a luggage cart, Fox News reported.
- According to an officer’s report from the Orange County Sheriff’s Department, authorities were called and questioned the man, who said the firearms were for “safety because of the riots and civil unrest going on” in the area.
- The man, an unnamed resident of Palm Spring Gardens, Florida, cooperated with police and did not break any laws, as he had a concealed carry permit.
- However, Disney World does not allow patrons to carry guns on the premises.
“Our policy is clear that weapons of any kind are not allowed at our resort regardless of whether someone has a permit,” a Disney spokesperson told Fox News.
What was he carrying? The concerned dad was packing considerable heat, which included:
- An AR-15 rifle.
- A Sig Sauer 9mm handgun.
- 110 rounds of ammunition.
A fiery summer: At times violent racial justice and police reform protests have broken out across American cities following the May 25 death of George Floyd.
- In central Florida, the police-involved shooting of Salaythis Melvin, a black man, ignited a wave of protests in August.